This week’s Friday Five linkup (an awesome weekly event hosted by Courtney @ Eat Pray Run DC, Mar @ Mar On The Run, and Cynthia @ You Signed Up For What!) is themed: Goals! One of my favorite things to talk about since I’m endless making new goals for myself!! I find that being goal-oriented is one of the only things that keeps me focused at getting things done. I’ve always expressed my goals here, and mid-summer is a fab time to check in on their progress.
1. Pittsburgh’s Great Race 10K – Last summer, I struggled with running. I set lofty goals for myself and then sabotaged myself when I couldn’t handle the pressure. I registered last year and talked a big game about how I was going to run in September. Then, in one of the most disappointing moments I’ve ever had in myself, I sold my bib the weekend of the race because I just wasn’t able to run that far. Not this year. This year, I’ve kept my eye on the prize and I’ve all ready got my 6.1 mile leg of the Pittsburgh Marathon under my belt. I’ve been more realistic with my training schedule, I’ve been more focused on nutrition, and I generally feel like I’m in a better place mentally with running. The race is 10 weeks out and I feel like I’m right on track!
2. Lucky # 12 – This is a goal I’ve really struggled with over the years because I’ve generally been a very lazy person. BUT! This summer I’ve finally pushed past my plateau and I think I may actually reach my goal. By the end of the summer, I hope to be down to 175 lbs. I’m only 12 lbs. away from hitting that milestone (a milestone which I haven’t seen since probably high school!) and I’m feeling pretty confident that I can crush that goal, too.
3. 4 Week Challenge Group – This one isn’t quite as serious as the other 2, but committing to a 4 week challenge group where you are asked to participate daily is kind of a big commitment. The group happens in a secret Facebook page and I’ve found it to be incredibly helpful. I’m getting tons of ideas and support from the other members, which is the reason I joined. There have been MANY days in which I would’ve let the lazy get the better of me, but seeing the “sweaty” pics the other members posts pushes me to be active. The challenge is over the first week of August, and I’m honestly going to miss it!
4. Service – Back in April, I made a commitment to volunteer more. And by more I mean period, at all. The beginning of the summer sent my personal life into a bit of a tailspin, so unfortunately this goal got pushed to the back burner for a few months. Through this awesome gal, I learned about this awesome program through the Animal Rescue League where runners volunteer to jog with the shelter dogs. What an incredibly mutually beneficial program for everyone involved – the shelter dogs get personal human interaction, physical time in the great outdoors, and valuable social skills. The shelter gets free man power and I get to be active while making a difference. I mean how great is that?
5. Pittsburgh Half Marathon – I basically started running so that I could run this race. No pressure or anything. It has been my goal race for years. YEARS. YEARS!!!!!!!!! 2015 is about to be my year, I just know it. I’m crazy superstitious about stuff, and I’m obsessed with the idea of running 13.1 miles for the 1st time the year I turn 31. TRY AND TELL ME THAT’S NOT A SIGN….
I hope you enjoyed this Friday Five linkup, I had fun writing it and I can’t wait to participate in more of them!!